Monday 12 August 2013

Lilac Aztec Nails Tutorial | NOTD

Today I'm doing something a little different for you guys, I've been messing around with my mum's nail art bits and pieces and thought I'd share with you a super easy aztec nail art tutorial. This took all of 20 mins, I'd never sit for longer than that anyway I get faaarr too fidgety so I wanted something really quick and easy.

I am using Sally Hansen's Dual Base and Top Coat, Barry M Gelly Nail Paint in 'Prickly Pear' and some nail art pens/brush tools. Barry M's nail art pens are also amazing for this if you want something even easier to have a go at. 


I always start with a base coat, it helps strengthen your nails and stop staining. Also, I feel like it makes my polish stay on longer but I've got no clue if this is a load of rubbish or not! I always swear by Sally Hansen for all treatments, base/top coats and strengthening polishes!

Then I applied 2 coats of my prickly pear varnish. I love these more than life itself. They go on a dream, last for ages due to the gel consistency and are so shiny. Plus the £3.99 price tag makes my bank account breathe a sigh of relief.


I decided to just stick to my ring fingers as I feel like maybe the black could look a little too much, plus I couldn't sit still long enough to concentrate on doing each nail perfectly! I started with 2 white stripes (on thin and one thick) using the striping brush part of my nail art pens. I found moving my nail aswell as the brush helped with getting a much smoother line.


Then I took the black striping brush and added a few details, again moving both hands around to get the smoothest lines. I also found that only picking up a tiny amount of polish each time, even if it meant going over the lines a couple of times helped me get straighter lines. 


I finished off by cleaning up my fingers with a cotton bud dipped in nail varnish remover and a nice top coat. (A small tip from my mummy: when doing your topcoat, finish each nail by doing a last sweep of polish over the tips as if you are doing a french tip. This seals the ends and helps with chipping.)


Unless you are amazing, nothing is going to be perfect! I really like the way it turned out and was surprised how easy it was. I have shaky hands so if I can do it, literally ANYBODY can.

Have you tried nail art? If you have, send me links or tweet me pictures! @WearMoreColour

Loves xxx

2 comments: